Sunday, October 03, 2010


Ten Years of Food Network


This year, Food Network Canada is celebrating Ten years on the Air. Ten years of celebrity chefs and important meals. Of different food and shows that has as their only purpose, to drown us in our own drool. In particular the latter can be represented by the show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

I'm not going to give 10 years of memories, but a thought for the network. Since this is a 10 year celebration, perhaps they should bring back some old favourites. In particular they should schedule a marathon of what must be the greatest cooking show of all time.

In a time when even the Reality Show concept is making its way into cooking, I mean seriously, how many competitions do we really need to decide what person is going to be the head chef of what restaurant. There is one show that epitomized both cooking and competition. It still exists but its interpretation is but a pale imitation of the real thing.

I'm talking about the One, the Only

Iron Chef:



The introduction says it all, a special stadium, four chefs who are the top of their style, competitors and a special ingredient. It was great, a lot of fast action and very cheesy dialogue.

If the concept wasn't enough, we got to enjoy the translators interpretation of what was said, and that was equally hilarious.

I'm sure you all know about Iron Chef. I remember many a Saturday night hanging onto the cooking, the competition, the judging and the final result. It was a great hour of television.

They should bring it back, only for this year, to help us remember what a great show it truly was.

I end my blog with how the show began:

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are.

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

No comments: