Monday, August 06, 2007

42


Any number that reduces to one when you take the sum of the square of its digits and continue iterating until it yields 1 is a happy number, any number that doesn't, isn't. A happy prime is both happy and prime. NOW TYPE IT IN! [turns to captain] I don't know, talk about dumbing down. Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?


It's been a month since I've done any blogging. I'm going to say it's part of the moving and adjusting to life in the new city of Brantford, or the fact I've done a fair bit of cycling. Been to a few places outside of Brantford and been traveling the bike trail in the city.

Well, it's Civic Holiday here and so I decided this is the day I would start doing some blogging.

Okay, I decided to watch this week's episode of Doctor Who. Again, because of the move I wasn't able to watch the first couple of episodes so I've had to do some catching up, and I've missed some of the arc. When I watched the name "42", I thought this should be a good episode because we all know what '42' means. We do all know what '42' means? The first person with the answer will get a gold star.

Turns out, it is not what I thought, in fact the number refers to the time left before something rather nasty happens.

It was a good episode, but I felt it was in some way a re-run of the ideas that were done in Series Two. Still it's a good one with some interesting arcs. Such as the end, when the people trying to trace Martha's cellphone call make reference to a Mr. Saxon. Now you can follow the link and learn all about it, or watch the rest of the series. Personally I look forward to seeing how this all works out and it should be a good thing.

Another thing, how does Martha's phone give such good reception, she never drops a call, she's plummeting towards a sun and she's still able to handle a conversation. Most of us lose the call when we walk indoors! Here's what should happen, the Doctor patents his work and takes over the global cellular market- take that Steve Jobs.

I think I'm going to have to go back and watch the previous episodes to get an idea of the entire series.

Just a few more thoughts:

Freeman Agyeman started the series by filling in some huge shoes, Billie Piper was a great companion. I've also learned she's leaving after only one series, although she will appear in series four, towards the end.

I decided to resubscribe to Whotopia, the Canadian Doctor Who Magazine, what made my decision was the cover article on Christopher Eccleston.

Holiday starts tomorrow.

Peace

1 comment:

LefthandedSocks said...

the meaning of life, the universe and everything